2013 is still 8 days away. What is it about the turn of a calendar that makes us want to be better people? Maybe this year we have the Mayans to thank. If the year 2013 dawns and we’re still here, we might as well make the best of it. New Year brings in new promises. Hence, it can’t hurt to plan ahead for your 2013 New Year resolution which will help you make a better person.
How to make a New Year resolution
Although many of us make a New Year resolution at the beginning of a New Year but we do it more out of a custom than with actual planning. Also, people don’t spare much thought in finding out what he/she will actually like to achieve in the year. Hence, the success rate with New Year resolution is actually poor. Some tips therefore can become handy in making your New Year resolution a success.
Fix your target: What is really important to you? What do you want to achieve in the coming days? Setting your priorities will help you set your New Year’s resolution better.
Make a realistic promise: When we promise, we promise big, without really considering the possibilities of achieving it at the end. This is one of the major causes of higher failure rate with New Year’s resolutions. Hence, make yourself a realistic promise.
Make an optimistic promise: Try and look at the positive side of the promise. Leave the negative ideas aside. Hence, instead of saying that ‘I’ll not be late at my appointments’ say ‘henceforth, I’ll reach everywhere in time’. The positive tone will help you improve your chances of success.
Break down big goals: If you have promised yourself a big thing set small targets at first. Instead of looking at the mammoth task on the whole, taking small steps towards achieving it will help you to reach the target easily.
Develop other habit: We all know that some habits are hard to change. Hence, the best way to change an old habit is by developing other engagement. If you have decided to quit smoking, find another engagement which will relax you and will take your mind away from smoking.
Funny New Year Resolutions
- I won’t take bath everyday, this is my bit to conserve water.
- I will stop giving excuses to my girlfriend for being late on every date. And, I am not lying this time.
- I will stop sitting idle. Would rather utilize my precious time by sitting on Facebook.
- I will stop peeping into my boyfriend’s female friends profile on facebook.
- I will change my undergarments everyday.
- I will stop staring at my gorgeous fitness instructor. So, I will become more focused on my fitness and will spend more time in the gym.
- I will not stare at other girls, when with my girlfriend, though I am not sure when I’d be alone.
- If someone would ask me for choosing one between Babes and Bikes. Babes, I sympathize with you.
Serious New Year Resolutions
- I will mend broken relationships.
- I will focus more on giving rather than taking.
- I will make it sure to give my wife a good night kiss whenever she sleeps, and a peck on her forehead even before sun’s rays wake her up.
- I will quit smoking. Not for me, but for my family.
- I will stand by my love come what may. It is not a resolution but a vow.
- Every morning I would say these words to my wife, «Give me all of your tears and take from me all of my smiles».
- I would try to become my daughter’s best friend.
- I will do my bit to stop corruption in my country.
- I would never ever doubt my wife’s commitment for me. And, this is a resolution for the whole life.
- I will not crib about things, would rather remain content for what has life given to me.
Resolutions can be for anything, they can be for personal goals that one has set out to achieve or even professional things, there are a plethora of issues that people make resolutions for, so here are a few of the most popular resolutions that are seen around the world:
As our lives are so hectic and consumed by our careers, professions, personal and family life takes a backseat and sadly, that affects our loved ones and relationships, so resolving to spend more time with family is a good idea. You can try to incorporate time for them in your bust schedule by trying to pick a time or activity that the family can do together, simple things like having dinner together too makes a difference as the end of day normally have things that are shared between family members.
It’s a funny yet statistically proven fact that the first of January is perhaps the most packed day for gyms, and the month of January fetches in the most profits as most people resolve to exercise more and get fitter, however by the month of February things come back to normal, so in the resolution fever do not set up extreme goals, the point is to make an activity enjoyable so that it is sustainable, once you become regular, attaining your fitness goals would be the easiest thing.
Apart from the resolution to getting fitter the other most popular resolution is to lose weight, and probably the only way to achieve that is to set goals that are realistic and set small targets that can be achieved sooner and hence keep motivating you. Dieting is perhaps the unhealthiest way to go about it, since giving up things usually leads to binging later.
It’s never too late to make a change in your life, so if you finally want to give up the habit of smoking then the beginning year perhaps the best time to do it. Taking into the evidence the overwhelming side effects of smoking, you can choose whatever way suits you better, it can be a nicotine gum, the patch etc. Add years to your life by quitting the habit.
It’s a common complaint of the working class that they are constantly plagued by stress, so it is time to take matter in your hands and try to relax by indulging in your favourite activities more often. Doing so not only makes you feel more relaxed but also enhances your performance in the working stage.
Here are a few pointers on how to achieve them without losing motivation and focus:
- Try to start slow, one resolution at a time
- Try to be clear about what you want it’s easier to lose drive about a vague resolution.
- Chalk out a plan, organizing and managing generally produces better results.
- Don’t wait to start planning on New Year’s only, chalk out the plan earlier so that you can begin with the New Year.
- Learn from the past, and try to avoid making the same mistakes again.
- Be positive about your resolution, it’s a great motivator.